- Ed.D. Rutgers, The State University, New Brunswick, NJ, 2003
- M.A.T (Master of Arts in Teaching) – Montclair State College, Montclair, NJ, 1991
- B.S Montclair State College, Montclair, NJ January, 1986
- 1987-1991 Teacher/Teacher Assistant The Children’s Institute Livingston, NJ
- 1991-1995 Learning Specialist/Adjunct Middlesex County College Edison, NJ
- 1995-2001 Special Education Teacher North Plainfield Public Schools N. Plainfield, NJ
- July 1, 2012 Present Professor, Department of Special Education, New Jersey City University Jersey City, NJ
- May 18, 2009 June 30, 2012 Chair, Department of Special Education, New Jersey City University Jersey City, NJ
- September 1, 2001- June 30, 2008 Assitant Professor, Department of Special Education New Jersey City University
- September 1, 2008 May 1, 2009 Associate Professor, Department of Special Education New Jersey City University Jersey City, NJ
- Co-Chair, NJ State Special Education Advisory Council
- NJ Special Education Statkeholder
- New Jersey Coalition for Inclusive Education (NJCIE)
Amerman, T., Burns, A., & Mecca, J. (2010) Those who can teach, think, and tweak: Reflections from two urban educators. The Academic Forum 16(1), 22-26.
Amerman, T. (2009, February 26). Education is more than academics. The Courier News, p. A10.
Amerman, T., & Fleres, C. (2009). A winning combination: Collaboration in inclusion. In M.R. Pierson, K.K. Stang, & B. Varner (Eds.). Sound instruction-ready to use classroom practice Volume II: Assessment and consultation. Tennessee: Rapid Intellect Group
Amerman, T., & Carr-Jones (2007). Self-Advocacy. In The Praeger Handbook of Special Education. Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc
Amerman, T. (2007). A dream realized: The journey to becoming a teacher. In So to Teach: Inspiring Stories That Touch the Heart. Kappa Delta Pi.
Amerman, T. (2007). Preparing future teachers: A personal and professional perspective. The Academic Forum 15(1), 33-35.
Amerman, T. (2007). Person Centered Planning. In The Praeger Handbook of Special Education. Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc
Amerman, T., & Carr-Jones, J. (2006) Dare to dream: Leadership conferences for students with disabilities. TEACHING Exceptional Children Plus 2(6), Retrieved July 30, 2006 from http://escholarship.bc.edu/education/tecplus/vol2/iss6/art1
Fisch, A., De Fina, A., & Amerman, T. (2006). A case history of change in the college of education’s writing assessment exam. The Academic Forum 14(2), 11-15.
Aitken, J., Amerman, T., & Shamburg, C. (2005) Faculty and freedom machines: Teaching teachers about assistive technology. The Academic Forum 13(2), 42-44.
Amerman, T., Aitken, J., Shamburg, C., & Twomey, C. (2004) Assistive technology: A collaborative approach. Academic Exchange Quarterly 8(3), 213-217.
Amerman, T., & Carr-Jones, J., Eds. (2004) Connections: A guide to maximizing student potential. (training manual) New Jersey Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs.
Amerman, T., & Fleres, C. (2003). A winning combination: Collaboration in inclusion. Academic Exchange Quarterly 7( 3), 66-70.
- Awarded Distinguished Faculty at the NJ Excellence in Teacher Preparation Awards, 2012
The Association of Mathematics Teachers of New Jersey 6th Annual Special Education and Mathematics: St Peter’s College, Jersey City, NJ, January 8, 2014: Technology, Systems, and Tools: Universal Design for Learning (UDL) for the Mathematics Class (Amerman, T. & Shamburg, C.)
New Jersey Coalition for Inclusive Education: The College of NJ, Trenton, NJ, June 27, 2013: NJ CCSS Math Standards: An Excellent Opportunity to Move from Access to Engagement for All (Amerman, T. & Mejia, A.) :
The Association of Mathematics Teachers of New Jersey: St. Peter’s University, NJ, January 9, 2013: Students with Disabilities and the Common Core Math Standards: Moving from Access to Engagement
NJTESOL/NJBE: Richard Stockton College, Galloway, NJ, October 20, 2012: Everything You Wanted to Know About Bilingual and Special Education Laws (but were afraid to ask), (Napoliello, M. & Amerman, T.)
Bogota Township Schools, August 21 & 23, 2012: Supporting Inclusive Classrooms
Council for Exceptional Children: Denver, CO, April 12, 2012: Technology and the Inclusive Classroom: A Perfect Fit (Amerman, T. & Shamburg, C.)
New Jersey Department of Education Summer Leadership Institute. New Jersey City University, July, 2011: Liberation Literacies: Technology for Inclusion..( Shamburg, C. & Amerman, T.)
New Jersey Coalition for Inclusive Education:Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ, June, 2011 Technology and the inclusive classroom: A natural fit (Shamburg, C. & Amerman, T.)
NJCIE, summer 2011, facilitator panel of co-teachers
- New Jersey Elementary Teacher
- New Jersey Supervisor
- New Jersey Teacher of the Handicapped
Scholarly interests include Inclusion, Universal Desgin for Learning, Classroom Instructional Practices, and Transition for students with disabilities to post-secondary life.
- Collaboration & Inclusion EC
- Corrective Tech Teac Excp Chld
- Curr Modif Tch Cultu/Ling Stds
- EC/SP Student Teach Intern
- ECE/SPEC Fld Exper II
- ECSP Curr & Programs I
- ECSP Internship
- Effect Transition Stud Disab
- Field Exper w/ Excep Children
- Fld Intern Spec Ed
- Fld Observ & Part w/Excep Chld
- Help Excep Chld&Yth Reg Class
- Independent Study In Education
- Intro To Educ & Psyc Excep Ch
- Jr. Fld Exp Special Educ
- Semr Spec Ed:Tr/Iss/Rsch
- Tch The Lrng Disabled Adolesc