- Ph.D. – Mathematics Education, New York University, 1993.
- M.S. – Operations Research, George Washington University, School of Engineering and Applied Science, 1980.
- B.S. – Mathematics, University of Alabama, 1972.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor and Adjunct Instructor, Pace University, Mathematics Department, New York, NY, 1981 to 1987. Teaching responsibilities included statistics, calculus, finite mathematics, and algebra to students in Business curriculum. Respon
- Assistant Professor and Instructor, State University of New York (SUNY) at Farmingdale, Mathematics Department, Farmingdale, NY, 1984 to 1993. Teaching responsibilities included basic math, algebra, statistics, finite math, pre-calculus, calculus, and d
- Independent Consultant, New York, NY, 1982 to 1984. As a consultant for the New York City Department of Finance, Bureau of Real Property Assessment, responsibilities included the development of statistical models to predict the market value for resident
- Market Research Consultant, Monar Marketing, Inc., New York, NY, 1981 to 1982. As a consultant to one of the largest retail department stores, responsibilities included the design and programming of complex models to target customers of higher profit p
- Mathematics Teacher, US Peace Corps, Ghana Secondary School, Tamale, Ghana, West Africa, 1980 to 1981. Responsible for teaching mathematics at various grade levels in the British-structured school while living as a member of the local community.
- Operations Research Analyst, US General Accounting Office, Technical Assistance Group, Washington, DC, 1975 to 1980. A systems analyst providing statistical analyses for GAO audits of many different Federal programs., the position required planning, imp
- Professional Staff Member, Institute for Defense Analysis, Arlington, VA, 1973 to 1975. Participation on multidisciplinary research teams performing broad analytical studies dealing with cost-quantity relationships, competition during reprocurement, equ
- Professor. Associate Professor, and Assistant Professor, New Jersey City University, Mathematics Department, Jersey City, NJ, 1993 to PRESENT. Concurrent appointment with Elementary and Secondary Education Department, 1999 to PRESENT. Teaching responsi
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE)
- Association of Mathematics Teachers of New Jersey (AMTNJ)
- Hudson Area Math Alliance (HAMA)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- New Jersey Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (NJ AMTE)
Bennett, D. J. (Forthcoming 2013). Sticking to your guns: A flawed heuristic for probabilistic decision making. In E. Chernoff & B. Sriraman (Eds.), Probabilistic Thinking: Presenting Plural Perspectives. Springer.
Bennett, D. J., & Fisch, A. A. (2013). Infusing coteaching into the general education field experience. Interdisciplinary Journal of Teaching and Learning 3 (Spring): 18-37. http://www3.subr.edu/coeijtl/files/Download/IJTL%20Vol.%203%2C%20No.%201%2C%20Spring%202013%20-%20Bennett%20%26%20Fisch%20%28pp.%2018-37%29.pdf
Fisch, A. A., & Bennett, D. J. (2011). Independence and interdependence: An analysis of pre-service candidates’ use of focused assignments on an electronic discussion forum during the initial field experience. Interdisciplinary Journal of Teaching and Learning 1 (Summer): 23-42. http://www3.subr.edu/coeijtl/files/Download/IJTL%20Vol.%201,%20No.%201,%20Summer%202011%20(pp.%201-59).pdf
Bennett, D. J. (2011). Defining randomness. In P. Bandyopadhyay & M. Forster (Eds.), Philosophy of Statistics: Vol. 7 Handbook of the Philosophy of Science (pp. 633-639). Oxford: Elsevier.
Bennett, D. J. (2005). It all adds up. NJCU. Gothic 8(3): 13-15.
Bennett, D. J. (2004). Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You. W. W. Norton. Also published as Logic Made Easy. Penguin Books, UK. (2005). Translations in Japanese, Indonesian, Korean, and complex Chinese.
Bennett, D. J. (2002). She Teaches Math! Women On Campus. NJCU. (Fall 2001-Spring 2002).
Bennett, D. J. (2000). From Dissertation Hell to Harvard University Press. The Academic Forum, 8(2).
Bennett, D. J. (1998). Randomness. Harvard University Press. Translations in Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese (both complex and simplified characters).
Aikey, P., Bennett, D. J., & Guillen, J. (1997). Algebra for ALL. McGraw-Hill Co.
Bennett, D. J. (1996). Study Groups in Calculus. The Academic Forum, 4(2).
- Honoree at the 2013 Women’s History Month ceremony co-hosted by Hudson County Executive Thomas A. DeGise, the Hudson County Board of Chosen Freeholders, and the Hudson County Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs/ Tourism Department with the theme, Wo
- Logic Made Easy, Outstanding Academic Titles, 2004 Choice Awards.
“Introducing Collaboration and Inclusion into Language Arts and Math Content Preparation in Teacher Education,” (with Audrey Fisch), Center for Teaching and Learning, NJCU, Math 18, 2011.
“The Best of Both Worlds: Software to Help Bring the Classroom into Online Courses,” (with Fran Moran), Center for Teaching and Learning, NJCU, February 3, 2011.
“New Jersey City University Model for Teacher Education Requirements,” P-12 Mathematics Preparation of Pre-Service Teachers in New Jersey, Union County College STEM Institute, October 23, 2010.
“Using Blackboard and the Discussion Forum to Encourage Student Interaction during the Field Experience,” (with Audrey Fisch), Center for Teaching and Learning, NJCU, October 12, 2010.
“Making Logical Sense of Language,” Mathematics Association of Two-Year Colleges in New Jersey (MATYCNJ), March 27, 2010.
“Improving HSPA Math Scores,” University Academy Charter School, August 10, 2009.
“Graphing Calculator in HSPA Math,” Hillside School District, December 10, 2007.
“The Preparation of Pre-service Mathematics Teachers,” Association of Mathematics Teachers of New Jersey (AMTNJ) October 26, 2007.
“WebCT and Video: Expanding and Enhancing the Face-to-Face Classroom Experience,” Center for Teaching and Learning, NJCU, October 16, 2007.
“Making Logical Sense of Language,” Keynote, 2007 Crystal Ball User Conference, Denver, Colorado, May 22.
“Infusing Co-teaching into the General Education Field Experience,” (with Audrey Fisch), International Association of Special Education, 13th Biennial Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, July 10, 2013.
- New Jersey Professional Service Provider #795.
- Calculators Secondary Classrm
- Calculus For Teachers I
- Calculus For Teachers II
- Calculus II
- CalculusandAnalyticGeometry I
- Discrete Structures I
- Educ Field Experience II
- Elementary Functions
- Independent Study
- Interm Algebra
- Math Content PRAXIS Review
- Math Curriculum Urban Schools
- Math Manipulatives I
- Math Methods & Materials
- Math Statistics I
- Mathematics in Secdry School
- PSM in Precalculus Mathematics
- Pre Calculus
- Probability And Statistics
- Problem Solving
- Prof Subj Mtr Middle Sch Math
- Prof.Subject Matter in Algebra
- Research Credit in Mathematics
- Research Seminar in Mathematic
- Statistics for Classroom Teach
- Survey Of Modern Math